June. Strawberries and sunshine mean June. Early summer in the UK is so special – the days are luxuriously long, the gardens are full of fragrant roses, plus music, sport and other outdoor festivals are in full swing. Provided the weather stays fine, there really is nothing to beat this time of the year. June 2017 you have been beautiful and kept us busy:
- We started the month still on our holiday in South Africa (read more here). We ended our trip with a visit to the iSimangoliso Wetland Park on the east coast of KwaZulu-Natal. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the park is home to several diverse and interconnected ecosystems including an estuary, lakes, wetlands, dunes, and beaches. There we stayed with my cousin, who works for the local conservation and research team in the town of St Lucia. From this base we enjoyed a day trip to the spectacular Cape Vidal beach and game viewing en route. We were lucky enough to see rhino, buffalo, crocodile, warthog and a variety of antelope. We also enjoyed a scenic cruise on Lake St Lucia and were treated to sightings of many hippos and their babies basking in the autumn sun.
- Once back home, we continued with renovations to our house – not as much as we would have liked, but we’re slowly chipping away at what needs to be done and hope to get much more sorted out over the summer.
- We started the induction process for Jasper starting primary school in September, including a home visit from his new teachers and a parents’ evening at the school.
- On the hottest weekend of the year so far we celebrated Father’s Day with a visit to Kent Life Heritage Farm Park. We fed the farm animals, watched ferret races, went on a tractor ride, walked around the historic village and enjoyed a picnic among other things.
- Jules celebrated her half-birthday this month. We have started weaning her and she is doing really well with trying vegetable purées and soft finger foods.
- At the end of the month I celebrated my birthday and we enjoyed another family day out. We revisited the Epping Ongar Railway for a ride on a vintage steam train through the Essex countryside.